Karina’s Sweet Potato, Broccoli and Asparagus Low GI Pasta!
- 250g cubed sweet potato
- 200g pasta
- 200g broccoli, cut into baby florets
- 2 birds eye chillies or 2 small red chillies, sliced finely
- 200g asparagus, tough bits snapped off and discarded. The remaining asparagus, boiled for 5 minutes, then pureed with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Keep the tips of the asparagus whole.
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for cooking
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 small handful of fresh dill, leaves kept whole and stalks sliced finely
- 1 small handful of fresh rocket, leaves kept whole
Cook pasta as per packet directions, strain water, then set aside in a large bowl.
Cook your sweet potato for 10 minutes in a pot of boiling water, then turn the heat to off. Keep the water in the pot, then take your sweet potato out of the pot. Cut your sweet potato into small pieces and place in the same large bowl as your pasta.
Using the pot of previously boiled hot water, whilst the heat is off, place your broccoli into this water, using the residual heat to continue to cook it for 10 minutes. Just make sure your broccoli are cut into very small florets to ensure quick cooking and saving electricity at the same time 🙂
Once your broccoli are cooked, strain, then place into the same bowl as your pasta and sweet potato.
Using the same pot you used to cook your pasta, turn the heat to medium, then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat for approximately 10 seconds. Add your garlic and chilli, then cook for 1 minute only, until aromatic, then turn the heat to off.
Once your chilli and garlic are cooked, combine your cooked sweet potato, cooked pasta, cooked broccoli, asparagus paste and asparagus pieces together using a wooden spoon, along with a pinch of black pepper and lemon juice. Mix well.
Compiling the Beauty:
Pile your pasta into three different plates, then top each with rocket and dill.
Copyright © 2015 by Karina Teuma
You must be logged in to post a comment.