- 250g lean minced beef
- 250g low GI pasta, cooked as per packet directions
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 small bunch of fresh oregano, stems removed, leaves picked
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil for frying
- 1 small bunch of fresh sweet basil, stalks removed, leaves ripped roughly
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 4 fresh bay leaves, stems removed, scrunched with the hand, then kept whole
- 1 small brown onion, cubed
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 small pinch of salt for cooking the pasta
- 1 large pinch of pepper for the pasta sauce
- 1 fresh red asian chilli, sliced finely (if you like chilli)
- A small handful of fresh basil leaves, kept whole
- Freshly shaved parmesan cheese
Cook the pasta as per the packet directions, adding a small pinch of salt to the pot of water whilst cooking.
Using medium heat, add 1.5 tablespoons of olive oil to a large saucepan, until slightly heated, then cook the onion, stirring occasionally, for approximately 3 minutes, or until slightly translucent.
Once the onion is slightly translucent, add the chilli and garlic, then sauté for 30 seconds. Once the mixture has been sautéd for 3o seconds, add the balsamic vinegar, cooking for approximately 1 minute, or until slightly evaporated. Once the balsamic vinegar has reduced slightly, add the wine, then cook further, ensuring some wine has evaporated slightly.
Add the 250g of lean mince to the cooked onion mixture, then cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Once the meat is lightly browned, add the 400g can of diced tomatoes, along with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 1 large pinch of black pepper and fresh, scrunched bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until reduced slightly.
Once the mixture has reduced slightly, add the basil and oregano, stir in well, then turn the heat to off.
Compiling the Beauty:
Pile the cooked pasta onto the serving plate, then add a large ladle of pasta sauce on top of the cooked pasta. Decorate the plate with fresh whole basil leaves and freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Serves 3 generous serves.
Copyright © 2015-2016 by Karina Teuma