Karina’s Crunchy Red Cabbage, Carrot and Mixed-Mint Salad with Ginger, Sesame, Garlic and Lime Dressing.
Main Salad Ingredients:
- 2 medium red onions, sliced finely
- 1 small bunch of fresh thai basil, torn into pieces, stalks removed
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint basil, torn into pieces, stalks removed
- 5 medium-sized carrots, peeled into ribbons using a potato peeler
- 1/2 a small red cabbage, shredded into thin strips
- 2 limes, freshly juiced
- 1 small birds eye chilli, sliced very finely
- 1/2 a tablespoon of brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced finely
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced finely
- 5 fresh purple beans, sliced thinly (use green if you don’t have purple)
- 5 large red cabbage leaves, taken from the outside of the cabbage
- Extra tiny sprigs of fresh mint-basil (7 will do)
Using an extra large mixing bowl, combine all the Main Salad Ingredients together, by tossing well with clean hands. This is fun for the kids to do, as it involves them feeling fresh food with their hands.
Combine all the Dressing ingredients, then mix well with a spoon until well combined. Pour this salad dressing evenly over the salad, using your clean hands to toss and coat the salad well with the dressing. Kids can do this bit as well, as they will be able to smell interesting food flavours.
Compiling the Beauty:
Using a large, rectangular or square platter, arrange your 5 large cabbage leaves on the plate, then pile all your salad on top of them. Sprinkle your sliced purple beans evenly over the salad, then jab the salad with your fresh mint-basil sprigs.
Great for a BBQ side-dish, or for a healthy vegetarian light lunch.
Serves 10 as a side dish, or 5 as a light lunch.
Copyright © 2015 by Karina Teuma