Mum’s Low-Fat and High-Taste Cannelloni!
- 1 1/4 packet of cannelloni (250g per packet)
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to line your baking tray
- 1 kg low-fat ricotta cheese, crumbled with clean hands
- 1 large handful of fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely, stalks removed
- 5 large free-range or cage-free eggs
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 1 large pinch of pepper
- 800 g tomato Puree
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2/3 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of italian mixed dried herbs
- 1 large pinch of black pepper
- 3 rashers of bacon, fat removed, cubed small
- 1 handful of finely grated Romano Cheese, to cover
Preheat your oven to 200°C. While your oven is pre-heating, you can lightly oil your baking tray. Try to grab a large family-sized ‘lasagne’ shaped baking tray for Mum’s recipe.
Using a large mixing bowl, combine all the filling ingredients, then mix until well combined. Once all your filling ingredients are well combined, use a small spoon (or piping bag) to fill your cannelloni tubes with this mixture, then set aside briefly.
Using a medium-sized pot, turn the stove to ‘medium heat.’ Combine all your sauce ingredients into this pot, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes, until the sauce has heated through. Once your sauce has heated through, turn your stove to ‘off.’
Using the lightly oiled baking tray, pour 1/3 of your tomato sauce mixture onto the bottom of your baking tray. Gently place all your cannelloni tubes over your sauce mixture, then top with the rest (2/3) of your sauce. Sprinkle over your topping ingredients, then cover with aluminium foil.
Place your covered cannelloni inside the oven, then cook for 45 minutes, at 200°C. Once your cannelloni has cooked for 45 minutes, remove the aluminium foil, then return this back into your oven to cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the Romano Cheese has melted and the bacon is slightly crispy. Once cooked, turn your oven to ‘off’.
Compiling the Beauty:
Serve on a plate, then pour yourself a nice glass of wine.
Copyright © 2015 by Karina Teuma