Karina’s Spicy and Chilli Minestrone
– 70g gluten free pasta shapes
– 1 x 400g can of diced tomatoes
– 4 cups of water
– 2 teaspoons of vegetable stock powder
– 1 large pinch of back pepper
– 2 rashers of rindless bacon, fat removed, then roughly diced
– 4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
– 1 white onion, roughly diced
– 150 g fennel, roughly diced
– 300 g baby brussels sprouts, halved lengthways
– 600 g sweet potato, diced
– 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
– 3 tablespoons dried mixed italian herbs
– 1/2 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Using a large pot, heat one tablespoon of olive oil, over medium heat. Once oil has heated through, add your bacon and fry until crispy and slightly caramelised. Once bacon is crispy, add your onion, then cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Once translucent, add your onion, then fry for 30 seconds.
Add your balsamic vinegar to the pot, then cook this off until slightly reduced (about 1 minute), then stir. Add your vegetable stock powder to the pot, whilst adding your water to the pot, simultaneously, then give the whole mixture a good stir. Add your can of chopped tomatoes, then stir.
Add all your vegetables to the pot at the same time (sweet potato, brussels sprouts and fennel). Then add your pasta immediately after. Once the pasta has been added, add your hot chilli sauce, mixed italian herbs and black pepper, then stir well and allow to cook, on the same heat setting (medium heat) for about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked.
Compiling the Beauty:
Serve your soup in a large bowl. Relax in a warm place, enjoying your nutritious and comforting bowl of Minestrone!
Copyright © 2015 by Karina Teuma